[Wine] The single major remaining Wine complaint everyone makes...

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 06:19:29 CDT 2008

On 23/04/2008, Timeout <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Take a "not platinum" application, sometimes getting it to install properly and show all buttons if a journey. If you click the wrong button, everything crash and you loose all your work. I am happy that I can use Office 2003 and I take into account that the tool bar is so tiny. You can't expect a purely Microsoft product be like Linux. If you are expecting it, this would be you are being stuck on the superficial layer.

That said, Microsoft in fact work to the maxim that graphic design and
interface polish - "fit and finish" - are of *towering* importance,
because if it looks slick then users believe it is slick, however
badly it may actually work.

> Users should understand and accept that Linux is not Windows and this stopping seeing Wine as a Windows in Linux. It's just a compatibility layer enabling you to get Windows out of your mind (without having to reboot or use Windows in a virtual PC) and there is nothing less worthy when seeing a button looking like Windows.

Users don't, and won't, think like geeks, ever.

The polish thing is in fact *really quite important* for Wine and
getting people off Windows and onto ... anything else, really. Look at
the fantastic response Compiz gets, luring people to Ubuntu by sheer
power of bling - and that's still a crappy beta!

But certainly post-1.0 for Wine. Not too far post, I'd hope.

- d.