[Wine] Re: The single major remaining Wine complaint everyone makes...

Timeout wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 23 06:32:40 CDT 2008

David Gerard wrote:

> That said, Microsoft in fact work to the maxim that graphic design and
> interface polish - "fit and finish" - are of *towering* importance,
> because if it looks slick then users believe it is slick, however
> badly it may actually work.

I don't think so. All People I know in my family have XP although some had their computer delivered with Vista. If they don't get what they want, it's regardless how it looks like. For my mother for instance, she would need a PC with switching on and 4 buttons: Internet, Photo, Office and E-Mail.
To set up the polish you have to know how to use a computer. Even Windows as it is is too much for her.

> Users don't, and won't, think like geeks, ever.
>
> The polish thing is in fact *really quite important* for Wine and
> getting people off Windows and onto ... anything else, really. Look at
> the fantastic response Compiz gets, luring people to Ubuntu by sheer
> power of bling - and that's still a crappy beta!

I beg to differ. It took me months to get the printer, the video card, the keyboard, the router etc working properly on a not configured PC. When switching to Linux you have to be prepared to learn.