[Wine] The single major remaining Wine complaint everyone makes...

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 10:12:59 CDT 2008

On 23/04/2008, dimesio <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> > If you know KDE4 exists, you're not Microsoft's market.

> But I used to be. I was perfectly happy with W2K, and would still be using it if it were possible to get drivers for new hardware. Microsoft drove me away. Yes, I am a bit more tech-savvy than most users, but I'm not a geek. IMO, I'm just in the vanguard of a host of dissatisfied customers.

That's still not you ;-) Microsoft's market is the people who sign the
cheques for the corporate desktop. Fit and finish is *very important*.
Flashy demoware is the whole thing, actual work is for mere employees.

Note that the best Microsoft products for functionality are the ones
the people signing the cheques use - Excel for spreadsheets, Outlook
for arranging meetings (and it even comes with a sort of email
client!).

(They tried pushing into the corporate server room from this beachhead
and didn't quite manage it. Servers have to work properly. Hence what
I noted about x86 servers and good Linux drivers.)

Linux on the corporate desktop requires the shiny. Wine to replace the
one obscure piece of business abandonware could do with added shine as
well. Post 1.0 ;-)

(I think we mostly agree, I'm just bored at work ;-p )

- d.