[Wine] DVD Fab HD Decrypter, surpisingly better than windows

Stefan Frings stefan at meinemullemaus.de
Thu Apr 24 12:26:49 CDT 2008

Hello,

DVD Fab HD Decrypter is a DVD copy program. The free version is
limited to decrypt and store the result onto HDD only.

Better than all other tools (that I tried), this program does not
have problems with some tricky copy protection methods. While the
best other program fails on about 50% of current DVD movies, DVD Fab
HD Decrypter took them all fine.

I tried to run DVD Fab HD Decrypter (Version 4050) on wine. To get
it working, the DVD must be mounted before you start wine. On a real
windows, you need to do exactly the oppsite (first start the program
then insert the DVD). Thats a little funny but not a problem.

The big surprise is - and that's why I write this message - that the
program runs much faster on wine compared to a real Windows.

My old notebook has a Celeron 1.2Ghz processor, 256MB Ram and
Windows Me. It copied with a speed of 2.6MB/s.

The same notebook reached an average of 7MB/s under wine. That is
nearly 3x as fast as under Windows!

Another newer notebook has a dual core 2 Gz processor, 2GB Ram and
Windows Vista. It copied with a speed of 5MB/s.

Again, it was much faster on wine, in this case about 8MB/s.

This program is my only Windows program. Everything else runs under
Linux. Now I don't need Windows anymore at all, because Linux does a
better job.

That's a nice success story, isn't it?