[Wine] Re: Who asking users to install native DirectX?

Tlarhices wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Apr 27 21:29:02 CDT 2008

[quote="vitamin"]
That's a valid point. However point-click installation won't do much damage to Wine. Or should I say should not. If it does - Wine needs to be fixed.

But I was more referring to elaborate instructions to override nearly all dlls that can be overridden. That is harmful and should be avoided for the same reasons winetools and ies4linux are bad - they slow down Wine development and lock users to having valid windows license.[/quote]

I understand your point, but searching for "install wine directx" in google will send you directly to these hacks and not to a clear information saying "don't do this, it's bad". Seeing a disclaimer showing "unsupported hacky thing" on these pages will not stop you either when you are using a system labeled as "may or may not work : try, see and let us know" which is the way wine is working.

I don't find surprising that people try to install directX in wine (I never tried but I can see several way to come up to that) and I think it will not stopped until there is a 100% support for all versions of directX in wine out of the box (that's not for now) or good information is relayed enough to be at the beginning of a web search (and that's not easy) and bad behavior is stopped circulating on social networks (Digg, Stumble, ...) (and that seems impossible)

So wine need to be prepared to explain that simply to every user that try doing so or to try to warn them right before they try (and a manual or a FAQ are not a good place because they are (nearly) always read after the problem occur)