[Wine] Who asking users to install native DirectX?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Apr 28 07:57:51 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:23 AM, Detructor <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> @vitamin...
>  First: Why are you so angry?

That's just the way he is when lots of people do something he doesn't like.
It's an occupational hazard of trying to support wine users :-)

> if I understand it right, the problem are the many other directX dlls that
> are overriting the builtin ones...so if a user then have a bug you
> can't determine if the bug is a really wine bug, or it is a directX bug

That's roughly the reason we frown on all native DLLs.
When they're used, they should be used precisely and with great care.

>  But back to your 2 questions: I think "Tlarhices" is right...the problem is,
> that most users are seeing, that the game *wants* maybe a
> directX_36.dll or a function out of this dll.
>  Instead of downloading this dll from a mirror... they simple download
> directX9 and install it...the effect (for the user) is the same: the game is working

Right.  Usually.
It would probably help if winetricks supported grabbing just the needed DLL
for the user.   If anyone has suggestions for the right recipe, I'm all ears.
Ideally it would involve a download from microsoft.com, rather than some
dodgy dll archive site.

>  And Vitamin...don't be so rough...you don't have to offend(?) me or someone else

We keep asking him to be gentler with the users.  He seems to
be trying to today, hopefully he'll be able to keep it up.
- Dan