[Wine] X3 Reunion sound+movies

Jochen Theodorou blackdrag at gmx.org
Sun Apr 27 16:04:56 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel schrieb:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Jochen <blackdrag at gmx.org> wrote:
>>  X3 Renuion is listed in the databse as not having a working sound and
>> movies. That's true, but I tried to overcome this. I noticed that a lot of
>> problems come form the neraly not implemented amstream.dll. Since this is
>> for streaming audio and video I thought that maybe installing the Windows
>> Media Player might help here a bit. I used wine-doors to install WM6.4 and
>> it did indeed provide an amtream.dll, but the game was not better... because
>> the native amstream.dll was not used..
>
> You might also try
>   wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
>   sh winetricks wmp10
>
> It might register the codecs better, who knows.  (And clean out your .wine
> first, it's always better to start clean when trying to figure things out,
> even though it means reinstalling apps.)
>
>>  err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {94297043-bd82-4dfd-b0de-8177739c6d20} not
>> registered
>
> That's "WMVideo_Decoder_DMO", part of quartz.dll.

ok, seems I accidently closed the post without sending... it is late
already here. Anyway I killed my wine and used your winetricks. The
media player does accept mp3 files, but their playback is horrible.
Usually you get first nothing, then a short something and then the mp3
is closed again. No audio pleasure here. It seems it depends on the mp3,
because of several I tested one did play. The mp3 files from the game
however do not. Also the movies don't play. Looks like the codec is not
found. And according to that you get it equally in the game. The only
thing that is better now, is that the mouse is suddenly quite useable in
the menu... which doesn't mean I can use it for flying... there the
mouse is still one sad adventure. I tried to install more codecs, but it
didn't help much. As before I used then native versionsof amstream,
devenum and quartz, but it did not help much. Insteadif the application
crashes no, it does so with a really big stack. And that is for both,
the media player and the game. To me it looks like the correct codec

message like

fixme:mpeg3:III_get_side_info_1 big_values (511) too large!
fixme:mpeg3:III_dequantize_sample mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 462 bits!

seem to tell me that no native mp3 codec is used... and that the one
used by wine is not good enough. I get many errors of this kind:

err:d3d_surface:IWineGDISurfaceImpl_PrivateSetup (0x247fb78) Overlays
not yet supported by GDI surfaces
err:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_CreateNewSurface IWineD3DDevice::CreateSurface
failed. hr = 8876086c

more ideas?

bye Jochen