[Wine] rsyncing Wine fails

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 12:20:17 CDT 2008

Roy Butler wrote:
<snip />

> Testing "cp -r /home/david/.wine/ /var/tmp" would eliminate a lot of the
> variables.  Curious - does wine still work for you w/o issue on this
> system?

I had a major PITA yesterday when trying to backup (by copying) by home
directory to another server. I'm on Ubuntu 7.10.

The problem I discovered was that in the .wine directory were some
symbolic links to other partitions on my machine and they had rather
unusual names for linux like $d:: or some such and pointed to hard disk
partitions my DVD-RW *and* my DVD-RAM drive.

Anyway, I ended up tar'ing the .wine directory first, then deleting the
actual directory. Extracting the .wine tarball checked out fine afterwards.

<ducks from flames>It was the same for my .ies4linux directory
too!</ducks from flames>

Perhaps it is something like this?

HTH

Al