[Wine] Re: Printing to a network printer and installing PPD files

okie2003 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Apr 29 21:48:18 CDT 2008

Sorry to be so slow in responding. The ppd file I am discussing is the one for the Xerox Phaser printer I am using. I had used PageMaker for years, first with a dotmatrix printer and then ink jets,  but never with a PS printer. When I started using the Phaser, Xerox tech support told me about the ppd file. In other words it is a printer specific file. In Windows it has to be put in the directory I mentioned above. The Wine User's Guide in chapter 3, page 14, says, "• Wine needs a PPD-File for every Printer (generic.ppd comes with Wine)"

The question is how do I get Wine/ PageMaker to see the Xerox ppd file instead of the generic one that it is seeing (the one it saw on your install)?

When I installed PM under Wine I forgot about the ppd file until I tried to print and got the warning you mentioned. At that point I put the xerox ppd file where it goes in PM, but that didn't help.