[Wine] Run service on Wine?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Wed Apr 30 19:54:13 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 30 April 2008 11:08:37 am MichaelZ wrote:
> [root at fc6-dev ~]# regedit
> fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceA ((null),"ImgLM"): stub
> fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW (L"",L"ImgLM"): stub
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.

Not sure about your initial problem, but I do know that you have created
permissions problems on your ~/.wine by running as root.  You should never
log in as root if your normal username works, and you should never use root
unless you have a clear reason to do so, and even then, only for the task
that needs such permissions (such as installing or removing packages, adding
or deleting users, inserting or removing kernel modules and other tasks of an
administrative or emergency recovery nature).  Running with elevated
privleges when you don't need them is a great way to complicate your life as
a user on any platform in a great number of ways, almost all of which are
beyond the scope of this list.

If you hosed the permissions on your ~/.wine, you'll need to
# chown -R user:user ~/.wine
(replace user with your username) to get it back the way it should be.

Wine assumes you meant to have "administrator" privleges in "Windows."  This
shouldn't be a problem as far as Windows malware affecting your system beyond
~/.wine is concerned, as long as you're running wine as a normal,
not-root-privleged user.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo at ursine.ca