[Wine] How do I install in .wine/drive-c/program files?

Theo Tulley wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Aug 1 08:51:06 CDT 2008

I'm still a Newbie to Linux but have been climbing the learning curve for a year - now running LinuxMint 5 (Elyssa) and have installed Wine 1.0.0 which is in /usr/bin with about 20 associated files.

Now I am trying to install a database configured for Windows - a CD of Sussex Marriages. This is displayed under LinuxMint as a list of files, libraries and an executable - which doesn't run - I thought it would be the installer. But this CD is itself used to run under Windows. Should I simply copy the executable file to .wine/drive_c/Program Files? Or the whole CD? The executable will need access to the other files - or do I leave the CD in and work from it via the executable installed in wine? I see there is advice about paths in $ man wine.

Next I want to run the program Family Tree Maker 2006 which is listed in AppDB as available. This contains many executables - do I copy the whole CD to Program Files? The whole CD is just over 100 MB; the installation in Windows Program Files is about 60 MB.
The Installation file is ftm.exe and this runs under Linux and offers to install by default at C:/Program Files - I try to browse but cannot locate .Wine in /usr/bin from that path. Apparently it's a hidden file so doesn't show.

I can open .wine -> browse drive_c from the Linux Menu and it appears to be located in my home directory. It contains folders Program Files and Windows, which contain several apps by default. How do I install new ones? I gather that it is not wise to copy them from my original Windows Program Files! My Windows installation will not boot, but all its files are accessible.

Apologies for a long mail - I shall be most grateful for help & advice.