[Wine] Mouse behaves drunk using Wine

Texas Toast wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Aug 4 20:31:29 CDT 2008

Mouse behaves well in Ubuntu.
Most noticeable when using WoW, but happens using winecfg or wine explorer.exe.

When running WoW BC on Wine 1.0.0 I'm EXTREMELY pleased with the graphics, internet response time, fps.

My problem is the mouse sensitivity and response time is poor.  Performing a LARGE figure 8 pattern on the screen in a quick fashion does not work.  SMALL figure 8 pattern (approx. 2x2 inch) works OK.  The cursor will not keep up with my wrist movements even going slowly.  Precision is poor and it is difficult choosing the correct toolbar button on WoW.

Nothing special about the mouse, MS 2 button with wheel, hardcable.

Newly installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 64 using NVIDIA 8500 GTS.  AMD64 X2 Duo 5200 4G Ram, 2T disk.  SONY 21 inch CRT display.

On Ubuntu, I have the mouse SYSTEM > PREFERENCES > MOUSE > General > Pointer Speed > Sensitivity to the rightmost settings while Acceleration to the right of the middle.  I didn't think I should have to set sensitivity so high, but that's working well for Ubuntu.

I'm a newbie Linux user and newbie to Wine.  Have MCSE and years of exper on Windows dating to Win 3.1.  Longtime WoW player, so I know a couple of tricks using the tab key to select a new target etc, but the mouse behavior is a show stopper.  I find myself using a jerking fashion to make the mouse show up in the middle of the screen, then have to move the mouse ever so painfully slow to the toolbar button I want to click.  After playing for 2 hours my wrist is sore; then went back to my Vista bootup.

I have discovered that changing the WoW mouse settings under Interface Options has no difference on game play.  This is strange.

My Ubuntu and Vista use the same hardware, using two separate hard drives.  To boot Vista, shutdown and move the cables.  To boot Ubuntu, shutdown and move the cables back.

winecfg is as follow:
1. In the Applications tab Windows version is Windows XP

2. In the Graphics tab:

         Enable Pixel Shaders

         Set Vertex Shader to Hardware

3. Enable Allow the window manager to control the windows

Help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thanks.