[Wine] Re: Steam games crash during gameplay

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Aug 11 16:25:12 CDT 2008

Marc wrote:
> En/na kynan ha escrit:
>
> > I tried switching to low-quality sound a couple times. No improvement. I also tried OSS, Esound, etc. And the crashes happen no matter what the window decoration stuff is. Generally, I run it in a virtual desktop, but I've tried all the different settings in 'Graphics.' And the problems seem to be generally in online play. But running my own server will eventually crash too.
> >

> I have the exact same behaviour with another game ( X-session lock-up
> while music from other programs continue working ok, but no mouse and no
> keyboard, so any Ctrl-Alt-XX keystroke does nothing). My game can only
> be played online.
>
> I asked before in the list and I was told it was an ATI-related problem.
> Somebody asked you to test with other games, so I thought that maybe you
> were interested in giving it a try, specially because it is free to
> download, register and play:
> Tales of Pirates (http://top.igg.com/).
>
> I found another walkaround to kill the game other than hard reset: login
> with a remote terminal ( ssh ) and kill the process, maybe you could try
> if it works for you, obviously you will have to set up the ssh server,
> which should not be very difficult. I can help you off-list if you are
> interested in trying.

I am really starting to think that ATI may have something to do with this, still soyunds wierd.

Have you tried rolling back to your previous gfx drivers? Also, maybe you could go into CS.CZ settings and mess with drivers (choose 'Software'). Gfx will be ugly, but will allow you to test it.

Also try to run game in windowed-mode, that should help you with the problem of the mouse (I guess)

SSH is a good idea though, just type sshd in console, then type whatever they tell you to apt-get and it should be pronto, I myself ssh most of the time.

Do you have any DLL Overrides?