[Wine] Who am i? and where is C:?

Jim stapleton.41 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 09:37:05 CDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Nik N <niknot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/12/08, Derek McGowan <deniment at rogers.com> wrote:
>> in your home directory, there is a hidden directory called .wine - look
>> there
>>
> Why, oh why does it have to be a hidden directory?
> Hidden from who, and for what purpose?

Reduce clutter. Your home directory stores a lot of things. The idea
is that background things you won't *normally* be accessing directly -
program data, etc. Is stored in hidden files/driectories to make it
easier to find the things you will use frequently. If you want to see
a hidden directory, try 'ls -a' on the command line. The 'hidden' is
more of a convenience thing than a function/security/restriction
thing. Once you are used to it, it also becomes VERY convenient.

> Is there any way (short of re-compiling wine) to change that and make
> it a normal directory called simply "wine"?

There have been a couple of answers to this, for most users, the
symlink is the easiest.

In a command line:
$ cd ~
$ ln -s .wine wine

Note: I often get the 'ln' ops backwards, you might want to check the
man page. It might be 'ln -s wine .wine', but I'm fairly sure it's
what I wrote above.

-Jim Stapleton