[Wine] Re: Wine and Gnome menus...

mdevour wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Aug 14 14:36:42 CDT 2008

Jim Hall wrote:
> After a lot of frustration, this is what I've found.
>
> First: Alacarte is severly non-functional in several areas, trying to modify
> entries is very difficult to impossible. This is Gnome's fault. Don't bother
> to try.
>
> Second: Gnome menus are standard complient, Alacarte is the problem.
>
> (... etc. snipped)

Well, that's completely consistent with my experience, Jim, sadly.

> Third: Wine menu entries will sometimes add by doing the following.
> 1) Start a root terminal and type "update-menus"
> 2) Do the same from a normal terminal logged in to the user that runs Wine.
> 3) As crazy as it sounds - reboot.
> 4) Recognise that this may not work for some entries, there may be no
> current fix.

Well, no joy for me. Mine's a bit more broken that most, I suspect... I think it's time for me to reinstall Linux... NOT! [Laughing]

> Forth: BSD is supposed to have a workable menu editor for Gnome, but I don't know if there is an Etch port. If you look, find one, and it works, please let us know.

Ooh boy! A chance to try to compile something from source??? For me that'd likely be a comedy. <hehehe>

I'll at least do a little googling and see. Thanks for the feedback, Jim. It's appreciated.

Be well,

Mike D.