[Wine] Re: Application failure finding files on CD

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 20 09:35:44 CDT 2008

Hi, I'm not sure which application you have there, but I went to AppDB and found TalkNow 1.x. Is it?

Well, in this entry we see:

> It works perfectly well under wine as long as the wine d: drive or the e: drive is a symblic link to where the cdrom is mounted (in my case /dev/hdc).
>
> You need to have a font installed to use writing, and of coure the cdrom must be mounted.
>
> The program can only be run directly from the cd: no installation possible.

If tgis is your app, I'm guessing you'll have to mount an ISO somewhere and then execute it from there, while having one of your cd-rom drivers (don't know if you have to have them all) pointing (symlink) to the ISO mount.

Later on, when asked how to run from the cdrom:

> I successfully run the program using the following command:
>
> fran at debian:/cdrom/talk-now$ wine tlknow32.exe data/startup.ast

(plus, you don't even 'have' to mount an ISO, i believe you can use the drive straightforward)

But now to your specific case:

> I moved the install.exe file to /home/dave and from a console ran wine install.exe

Did you just move install.exe? Are you sure that install.exe was able to find all the files it needed not being along with the setup file?

But oh well, I'm also kind'of stuck...could you please give us more info on how you installed it? (where did you get it if it is not Freeware/Open-source/free-non-commercial.)

Jorl17