[Wine] Wine & ATI

HailandKill wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Aug 21 07:01:17 CDT 2008

I'm suing an Aspire 5050 laptop with and AMD Turion64 and Radeon X1100

Running Kubuntu Hardy, Wine-1.0, latest version of Xorg

Code:

:~$  apt-cache showpkg xorg-driver-fglrx
Package: xorg-driver-fglrx
Versions:
1:7.1.0-8-3+2.6.24.13-19.45

Running with the fglrx drivers generally doesn't seem to bode well... video playback is slow and any attempt to run wine with d3d crashes. For example, with Diablo II

Code:

:~$ wine Diablo\ II.exe
fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevi!
fixme:d3d:test_pbo_functionality >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from Lo @ directx.c / 3554
fixme:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
err:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
fixme:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
err:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
err:ddraw:IDirectDrawSurfaceImpl_Flip Can't find a flip target
err:ddraw:IDirectDrawSurfaceImpl_Flip Can't find a flip target
fixme:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
err:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x041c0048 at address 0x6f9b7859 (thread 0025), starting debugger...
Can't attach process 001c: error 5

glxgears works, and glxinfo reports direct rendering working. I have read a bug about fglrx but I can't find the bugzilla page anymore to see if there is a fix. Getting anywhere with this might be a no go, the only reason I'm mentioning fglrx is I'm wondering if it's meant to give me better performance beacause....

Using the open source ati drivers from the guide https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

libgl1-mesa-glx
libgl1-mesa-dri

Code:
:~$ apt-cache showpkg libgl1-mesa-glx
Package: libgl1-mesa-glx
Versions:
7.0.3-1ubuntu3~ppa1

Code:
:~$ apt-cache showpkg libgl1-mesa-dri
Package: libgl1-mesa-dri
Versions:
7.0.3-1ubuntu3~ppa1

enabling dri - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/RadeonXpress

This on the whole has better performance. Videos work brilliant and wine doesn't crash, hazaa!

But, should Diablo II have unplayable framerates on this laptop when using D3D?

So, as summary I have two questions:

1) fglrx - seeing the problems I'm coming across is it actually worth trying to get it to work for a performance increase over the open source drivers. If so do I have to downgrade some software versions?

2) If I'm going to use the open source drivers are there any general performance tips for wine, I can only find tips on how to make WoW run better....

Thanks in advance.