[Wine] Unable to install program: admin rights not continued

polypody wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Aug 30 12:59:53 CDT 2008

I am new to Wine so this may just be a stupid newbie trick.  I did search this forum, the FAQ, and the documentation and didn't see this problem mentioned.  I am attempting to install WordPerfect from CDs on a new Ubuntu setup.  It appears to initially work (after asking for the root pwd) then it pops up an error "You do not have administrator privileges on this machine. Setup cannot continue".

I have the following:
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
Wine 1.0

in Ubuntu, I bring up the "run application" window and then type
Code:
gksu /media/cdrom0/setup32.exe

   I've also tried adding "wine" before that address.  Everything comes up with the same error (with the heading SetupMgr).

I have also tried clicking on the setup32.exe icon, running from a terminal window, everything brings up the identical error.

I did NOT run wine as root.  The docs say wine should run as root, but it looks like something is not getting the correct permissions.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted ...