[Wine] Re: Wine Feature suggestion (Windows Compatibility System)

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Aug 30 23:35:56 CDT 2008

> We need to avoid these types of tricks. Microsoft did some things to prevent certain applications, which complete with their
> products, from running as best as they can or even to prevent them from running in the first place.

Yes and no.   Annoying some versions of vb need the api to malfunction in a particular way or they don't work.

IgnoreVBOverflow shim "Some VB apps try to store win32 handles in WORD size variables. On Win9x this works because most handles are 16-bit. However, on NT, the VB type checking code throws a “Runtime Error 63. The shim intercepts the type checking code and ignores the check."

Most of the needed ones are like this.   If active disregard this check.  If not active check for this defect.

TerminateExe shim This compatibility fix terminates an executable (.EXE) immediately upon launch.

I don't think we need that one.

Yes shims are like our app controls but they are more direct effect on what the api is.

Basically wine's does not have to be a shim system as such but current level of controls for application compatibility are a bit lacking.  Of course I would say these controls limited to what MS shims provide not just shims to work around wine code bugs.