[Wine] How can I prevent Wine from creating shortcuts????

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 15:03:22 CST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:58 PM, jasetaylor <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> austin987 wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:47 PM, jasetaylor <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>>
>> > btw
>> >
>> > please don't direct me to this
>> >
>> > http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-9893ae50079ca7a959258f0bc9a17aaf2e69b391
>> >
>> > it is not what I'm after
>> >
>> > Also, reason i need my own shortcuts aswell is that as you know, some apps need special parameters to run
>> >
>> > ie spore runs well with the safe mode flag enabled, half life with the dxlevel8 flag etc
>> >

>> You'd have to either edit the code to not create links, or easier, use
>> your script to remove them.
>>
>> --
>> -Austin
>

> is there no easier way?
> no parameter or anything for wine executable or global variable?

No.

> It's just that if i must use the script to remove them, then i have to install the program manually anyways, find all the associated icons, and .desktop files to delete them
>
> and seeing as i have other .desktop links on my desktop and other apps in the main .wine bottle, this is not something i'd like to do

No, if you know their location, they're easy to remove. Or simply a:
$ rm -f $HOME/.config/menus/applications-merged/wine*
$ rm -rf $HOME/.local/share/applications/wine

Should get rid of them. Or if you've got some you want to keep, find
that shortcut and remove it only. You're reinstalling the same apps
repeatedly, so you should know where the shortcuts are.

--
-Austin