[Wine] office 2007 with wine

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 06:54:33 CST 2008

2008/12/5 DaVince <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:
> David Gerard wrote:

>> People often think of trying to run their already-installed copy of a
>> Windows app from Wine (accessing the Windows partition or whatever),
>> but this is a really bad idea: (a) it often doesn't work (b) it often
>> fouls up the installation of the app on the Windows partition!
>> (Because Wine does many things its own way.)

> I can understand point a because of the registry (apps that completely rely on the registry usually won't run), but b sounds like something very rare to happen... I've run dozens of apps through Wine, including from Windows partitions, without it fouling up everything simply because Wine's registry is completely seperate and 95% of the time it  can read and write the app's config files just fine.

Yeah, I think it's mostly registry. Wine manages its registry its own
way, not the way Windows does.

> But yeah, pretty much all MS apps do require a fresh installation because of the heavy usage of the registry and extra DLLs the apps come with.

Wine is best thought of as a separate Windows installation.

(When changing machines/hard disks on Windows 95/98 way back when, I
used to do things all the time like copying the contents of one HD to
the other and trying to run apps from there. Or put an old C: drive in
a box as a new D: drive. Results varied. Oddly, Office 95 used to cope
with the move quite reasonably ...)

- d.