[Wine] Could Not Locate Entry For HAL.DLL In Setup Log

zenarcher wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Dec 5 19:25:20 CST 2008

I am very new to using WINE.  I have installed WINE 1.1.9 with my 64 bit Ubuntu 8.10 system and gotten one Windows game to work just fine.  Perfect, in fact.

Now, I am trying to help a friend of mine, who wants to switch from Windows to Linux in his business.  He has one Windows application, necessary for business purposes.  I am hoping to find a way to get it to work with Linux, using WINE.  It is not a common application, something specific to the insurance business, called, "Comparison Rater," from Capital Software, Inc.

I have tried to install it under WINE, using both WINE 1.1.9, as well as the new 1,1,10, without success.  I think it's real close, but just not quite there.  I am hoping someone who knows a lot more about WINE than I do, might be able to assist me.

When attempting to install, I get the following error:

"Could not locate entry for HAL.DLL in setup log to determine type of HAL to update."  If I could manage to get this resolved and the Windows program to run under WINE, I could add a small insurance company to the list of new Linux users.

Could anyone offer some assistance?

Thanks very much in advance,
zenarcher