[Wine] Re: WINE and older games

lost_soul wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Dec 9 16:29:47 CST 2008

Hello, I frequently play Thief Gold in Wine and it runs pretty well. I have an nvidia geforce 7600gs and hardware 3d works fine, Thus the problem must be with your video card drivers. I used to use an ATI card too, and the situation with those cards is not good. Basically you have the open-source drivers and the proprietary ones. They've removed support for any of the older cards below a radeon 9800 from the proprietary ones (I think). The open-source ones work, but the performance is not as good as the proprietary ones. I run Thief in 640x480 hardware 3d because if I use a higher resolution the framerate is a little choppy. At 640x480 it runs great and fast though.  As for the WC games, i've never played them, so I have no experience there.