[Wine] Silly Noob

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 22 16:02:29 CST 2008

phydeaux <wineforum-user at winehq.org> at: Dec 22, 2008 4:33 PM wrote about: [Wine]  Re: Silly Noob

>Gotcha, this is for work so any solutions?  I was thinking XP on a virtual machine.

Can you connect to the directory where this file exists through your Linux system using Samba?

If you can, you can map the drive through Winecfg to appear as a local drive.  Otherwise, you may have to use a VM running WindowsXP to work with this file until Wine becomes more mature.  If you have programming skills and the desire, you can take this on as a project.  Just remember, Wine developers cannot look at Windows source code nor can they reverse engineer Windows code.  The idea is to replicate Windows functionality in a clean-room environment.

James McKenzie