[Wine] Re: Davka Writer

Ditzian wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Dec 24 19:29:32 CST 2008

In response to the latest comment, here is another try.  I did not realize that I was not at the target directory.  I am not yet able to recognize directories from programs, especially in Konsole.  Here is the latest dump, including some of my mistakes in navigation.

[jan at Natashahouse ~]$ cd .wine/drive_c
[jan at Natashahouse drive_c]$ dir
ADBOOK  DavkaWriter\ Documents  Program\ Files  windows
[jan at Natashahouse drive_c]$ cd DavkaWriter\ Documents
[jan at Natashahouse DavkaWriter Documents]$ dir
[jan at Natashahouse DavkaWriter Documents]$ cd ..
[jan at Natashahouse drive_c]$ dir
ADBOOK  DavkaWriter\ Documents  Program\ Files  windows
[jan at Natashahouse drive_c]$ cd Program\ Files
[jan at Natashahouse Program Files]$ dir
Common\ Files  Davka  Internet\ Explorer
[jan at Natashahouse Program Files]$ cd Davka
[jan at Natashahouse Davka]$ dir
DavkaWriter
[jan at Natashahouse Davka]$ dir
DavkaWriter
[jan at Natashahouse Davka]$ cd DavkaWriter
[jan at Natashahouse DavkaWriter]$ dir
Clipart       davwrite.hlp  _DEISREG.ISR  Spelling  Undo\ Files
davwrite.cnt  DeIsL1.isu    _ISREG32.DLL  Tanach    Whatsnew.CNT
davwrite.exe  DeIsL2.isu    readme.txt    TIPS.txt  WHATSNEW.HLP
[jan at Natashahouse DavkaWriter]$ wine davwrite.exe
[jan at Natashahouse DavkaWriter]$

When I did the above, the same thing happened as when I ran it from the menu--the Davka Writer splash screen appeared and then the program ended.

*****

With respect to Austin's comment about upgrading Wine--I am using PCLinuxOS, whose user group (upon whom I rely heavily) strongly recommends not loading programs outside its Synaptic repos.  While I am violating this rule by trying to run this Windows program, I am unwilling to replace a repo version with something else.  If I break PCLinuxOS that way, all the king's horses and all the king's men won't even be willing to come to the wall to look at the egg on my face.

With respect to running as root, that was my error.  I thought I had to do that, so I opened Konsole and did a su.  This time I did not do that, and I won't do it in the future.

With respect to the old video card--I built this computer about six years ago, and I was cheap even then.  I did not use the hottest video card I could find, I used a  Sapphire Radeon 9000.

Thanks for the pointers.  I do not know if this is any help.  I did not even realize that there may be an Internet Explorer hidden in Wine.  Here I am using Firefox when I could  be using Internet Explorer.

Jan