[Wine] New Ubuntu 8.10 User

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 10:43:11 CST 2008

2008/12/26 Brevalan <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:

> What I need is a step by step guide as to how to install Wine on Ubuntu without the usual gaps and assumptions that we the new ones know something let alone everything.

To use the version from Ubuntu itself:

1. Start "Synaptic", the program package installer. (System ->
Administration, I think. Somewhere around there.)
2. In the search box, type "wine" and click "search". You should see a
list, and in the list will be "wine" with the description "Microsoft
Windows Compatibility Layer (Binary Emulator and Library)" or
something like that.
3. Click on the checkbox next to the name "wine" and select the option
"Mark for installation".
4. Click the big button "Apply".

This will download and install Wine.

If your program doesn't work in this version, you may want to try a
more current version of Wine. http://winehq.org/download/deb has the
instructions, step by step, with pictures for how to do this with
Synaptic.

What's the actual program you're trying to run?

- d.