[Wine] Topo Maps & GPSs??

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Wed Dec 31 13:26:40 CST 2008

	Can any of it talk to a GPS yet??

	I have suites from Garmin, Maptech, Topo.com, and Topo (as sold
through National Geographic -- the least satisfactory of all). Last year
at about this time, it still took massive effort, time, and help just to
get any of them to launch.

	Now a couple at least launch, and even run, quite nicely, just in
plain wine -- except in the most important respect of all.

	Viz, not one can talk with any GPS I own (three not very new
Garmin models).

	My main use for both hard- and software in this area is to create
my own maps, accurate and to scale, of things like how to get to my house
(Maptech sends you through an intersection that doesn't exist and never
has.), or game trails, den trees, and stands in the woods. So that's a
fatal shortcoming.

	But all the linux-native apps I keep revisiting still seem to me
to require degrees in topography, or electronics, or linux -- or two or
all three.