[Wine] Half-Life 1 Issues - Starting Friday

A. Tres Finocchiaro tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:09:16 CST 2008

Here's my info:

wine-0.9.54
OS: Ubuntu 7.10
Arch: Linux-x86_64
nVidia Driver: 169.09
Card: GeForce FX 5600

One of the many error logs that haven't particularly helped me: (attached)

DarkGUY, I appreciate any help.  I didn't come here to ask for help, but I
will take any advice that is given.  My original intentions were to canvas
the wine mailing list for similar issues related to this date, anticipating
some change with steam or the half-life game engine.

*Details:*

One day before the issues, I did update the graphics drivers with Envy (to
help with an unrelated issue).  The game ran fine after a reboot.

In lieu, I have tried reverting to the synaptic drivers with little luck.  I
had a hard time getting X to load with the nvidia driver probably due to
improper cleanup with Envy.  In effect, my most recent driver is built from
the NVIDIA shell installer.

*What works:*

Quake3 native, and Quake3 wine work well.  Quake2 wine works well.  Direct3D
works well in Half-Life (not desirable, and not as fast as OpenGL of
course).

Compiz works well and was working prior to the Envy driver update.  I
generally replace compiz with kwin before launching for performance reasons,
but it worked with and without before, and it's broken with and without
after.

*Logs:*

Error log is tough to obtain in half-life.  As you know, hl.exe is executed
by Steam.exe, so errors are usually pointing to steam related issues.

I'm accustomed with the very verbose wine output, but the verbosity can make
parsing difficult.

I've managed to get some errors, but I'm not sure how accurate they are, nor
what they really mean.

I can launch hl.exe from within the directory if steam is already running by
doing a "wine hl.exe", but the output is vague:

tfino at crap:half-life$ wine hl.exe -gl
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/53-monospace-lcd-filter.conf", line
17: invalid constant used : legacy
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/53-monospace-lcd-filter.conf", line
17: invalid constant used : legacy

And the game crashes out with "Options" and "Quit" at the lower left.  The
framerate shows in the bottom right implying opengl is running.

The font issues are self-inflicted, and were not there prior to my
troubleshooting.

-Tres