[Wine] Windows Kernel & Executive implementation

Volodymyr Shcherbyna v_scherbina at mvps.org
Fri Feb 22 05:02:37 CST 2008

Hello everyone, my name is Volodymyr, I am driver developer mostly doing
stuff for Windows.

I discovered that WineHQ project does not have support for drivers (am I
wrong?). In other words, quite a big amount of applications will fail to
function properly, because many of them are using helper device drivers to
get some extended functionality. I can just mention RegMon, FileMon, TDIMom,
and others.

Theoretically, this task is possible to be implemented, but it requires
quite a lot amount of work, of course. Is there any movements to overcome
this limitation? Have you ever considered to achieve compatibility at this
level?

Basically, I am talking about implementation of analogs of Windows Kernel
and Executive subsystems. On top of them, there might be implemented such
popular subsystems as:

- TDI subsystem (up to Vista)
- WFP (starting from Vista)
- Support for FS filters