[Wine] Windows Kernel & Executive implementation

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 18:33:35 CST 2008

<alan.mckinnon at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  For example, there is no sane reason in the world that VC++ should
> >  always work under Wine, considering the deep knowledge of Windows
> > that is built into VC++.
>
> I don't think that's a good example.  While I agree that
> Wine is not designed to run ALL windows software
> (it'll never run arbitrary VxD's, for instance), it can and
> will run Visual C++.   Visual C++ 6 works quite well modulo
> one bug in ole32, and Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 installs and
> runs pretty well module two bugs keeping .net 1.1 from installing.
> Visual C++ 6 and 2003 will eventually work well enough to make
> Windows developers comfortable.  And valgrind will support windows
> apps well enough that Windows developers might... actually...
> prefer... to develop their Windows apps on Linux sometimes.

Maybe it is a bad example, it's the first one I pulled out of my head.

But really, why would one compile something for Windows on Wine? I can
see that some OSS Windows apps might need a bit of tweaking and
recompiling to run better on a specific setup, but to do that
legitimately you'd need a valid license for the dev tools. Such a
person would also have a Windows machine to hand surely?

It's also a handy way for a Wine dev to check that bits of Wine are
working correctly, but is it really that useful in the general case, is
it something that regular users would do and does it warrant an
especially high priority?

There's also the legal issue. Yes I know this isn't a nice topic but it
has to be confronted at some point. Do the MS dev tools permit
installation and running on a non-MS platform? That might have been
something not explicitly stated in older licenses, but I'll bet it's
certainly not the case with the dev stuff MS released just this week
for example.

I must admit thought that it would be cool to support things like
compilers and get a better more efficient result than MS can <evil
grin>. That kind of technical expertise impresses me greatly but we do
have to stay within reasonable limits

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com