[Wine] Windows API opens up???

Robert Lövlie topace at oijk.net
Sun Feb 24 01:57:39 CST 2008

daveski wrote:
> I would have thought that this is all great news for WINE. With MS opening APIs for Windows, Office (?) and CIFS/SMB, projects like WINE and Samba will finally get to see the documentation on much of the stuff that has been reverse engineered. Surely some assumptions were made that the promised documentation will answer (if anyone can wade through 3000 pages...)
How "open" the APIs will be remains to be seen, apart from that you can
apparently not sell software created with these documents. The greatest
hope of sucess for wine is for software developers to bundle it in their
products, sort of like google does with picasa. If wine remains a
separate download that you have to install and configure yourself,
windows programs will not "just work" with other OSes. What Microsoft
calls "open" and "free" aren't necessarily compatible enough with our
definitions to be of any use at all.

--
Robert Lövlie
topace at oijk.net