[Wine] Error running TalkNow

Vacuum Joe vacuumjoe at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 16:41:13 CST 2008

Austin987 wrote: "Run
'winecfg'
and
select
sound
options.
You
might
try
using
OSS
instead
of
ALSA,
setting
driver
emulation,
or
disabling
sound
altogether."

I checked that.  It's set to ALSA, as it should be (for a long time now).  It's not using emulation.  Sound works.  When I click "test" on the winecfg sound setup panel, I hear the test sound.  I'm using the package that is in the Wine repos for Ubuntu.  I'll be upgrading to 0.9.56 as soon as it hits that repos (probably in the next couple of days) and I'll try again, but obviously, this is an old bug in some old part of Wine.

Anything else this could be?

I actually tried this whole thing one year ago:

http://crossover.codeweavers.com/pipermail/discuss/2007-February/010637.html

getting almost exactly the same error.  This is an old version of the program, from 2002, so it's definitely not using any fancy new APIs.  Whatever this bug is, it's probably affecting other similar programs.

Thanks for any tips on this.  Let me know if there are any tests I can do or anything else I can do that would help debug this.