[Wine] Re: Windows API opens up???

rgviza wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Feb 26 10:07:39 CST 2008

rygle wrote:
> Any thoughts on articles like this one -
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/21/microsoft_goes_open/. This mentions the Vista API, but I wonder about earlier API's.
>
> I also saw something the other day about source code for .Net being released as a "learning tool".
>
> Of course, all of this is in a bid to get Office XML approved as an ISO standard. They don't just give stuff away as far as I can tell.

I'm betting this is an attempt to set people up for patent trolling and squeezing patent licensing fees out of people. If they wanted to play nice they'd support ODF and OOXML and let the chips fall where they may, letting the users decide what they want for once. They'd also not be forcing SMB2 (which they wholly own) in an effort to subject the samba project (or users?) to patent royalties. Big changes are coming...

I smell a rat.

-Viz