[Wine] Mailing list <-> forum gateway

Marc budalokkos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 13:26:06 CST 2008

Hi,

En/na Alan McKinnon ha escrit:
> Since the forum gateway was introduced, it is my opinion that this list
> is getting flooded with newbie questions. Check the "I just installed
> Ubuntu" thread for a typical example.
>

> Now the explanation why. I spend my days at work answering newbie
> questions. I've done my requisite 1000s of hours in the past, now it's
> someone else's turn. I'm not asking for the gateway to be undone -
> those users have a perfect right to ask questions and get answers. If
> this is the place, then that is fine. I just don't want to see the
> questions anymore, and I don't want to unsubscribe either (the list
> itself is great as-is).

I am a wine newbie and I suscribed to this list just one month ago.
Since then, I have been surprised by the kindness and nice attitude of
the answers to all the newbie questions. Specially surprised me the very
positive answers to some bad-formed, unclear, already answered and with
an unadequate subject questions.

It would be a pity for us, newbies, that all experienced users just flee
now, that's why I think that it could be interesting for everybody (
both newbies as myself and also experienced users of wine ) that some
specifical forum rules and FAQ were written in order to direct newbies
to the direct source of information, specially having in mind the huge
amount of info we can find so clearly written in the WineHQ webpage.

For example, in one of the linux forums I have used the last years, when
you try to open a new thread, you get a message like this (translating
from spanish):

Please check the forum rules before sending a new problem:
-Search in Google before asking.
-Write a descriptive title.
-Write correctly.
-Don't publish your question in more than one forum.
-If you find the solution to your problem send advise of which it was.
-For more information read the forum rules. (link to forum rules).

And people is scolded when they do not follow this rules. Maybe some of
this things could be done for the winehq forums, in order to avoid other
people being obliged to do what Alan had to do.
Maybe this is not exactly what you were talking about, I will have to
change the subject or open a new thread in the forum, in that case ...

Best,
Marc ///