[Wine] How about this replacement of WINE.

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 11:06:00 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>  It's not a wine replacement; it uses wine.
>  Better description at
>  http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5240
>
>  It looks like they added hooks to the linux kernel
>  to accept windows nt syscalls.  Maybe they even allow using the
>  system's normal shared library loader instead of Wine's
>  special one.  This is something
>  I've often wanted to do, but it was way lower priority
>  than getting wine working.  I haven't looked at their
>  project at all, no idea if it was done well.

A long long time ago there was a project called Captive NTFS that was
mostly the same idea but in userspace, They tool the ReactOS kernel,
combined it with FUSE, and used that to load the native ntfs.sys. It
actually took a little more work because ReactOS Cache Manager was so
broken (another sign there is no way in hell the code was stolen from
Microsoft) that the author had to profile the native ntfs.sys and
rewrite the entire Cache Manger in glib. It would not have been much
of a stretch to add support for Win32 applications on top using Wine.
This might end up being a better solution for certain device drivers
like the copyprotection systems.

--
Steven Edwards