[Wine] Wine broke my WindowsXP (can't login)

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Thu Feb 28 16:09:54 CST 2008

Am 28.02.2008 um 19:48 schrieb Dan Kegel:

> Why were you pointing Wine at a real Windows partition?

I did it myself once and have read a lot about others doing the same.
It's just straightforward: point Wine to where all the applications
are. No dual installation for dual booting.

> If people are actually doing this, we should consider putting
> in a check to make wine abort when it detects this.

Likely a good idea.

BTW., to get a single-installation, dual-booting setup working, a
virtual machine is the appropriate tool: VirtualBox, VMware. Getting
a single Windows installation to boot two different hardwares is a
bit tricky, but it works.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/