[Wine] Re: Debian/Ubuntu .deb packages?!

billstei wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Feb 28 17:00:33 CST 2008

Here is how I make my own deb so that I can always have hot fresh apt-friendly wine:

Get the source, extract it, and (using the terminal) cd into the directory.

./configure --prefix=/usr
make depend
make
checkinstall --install=no

Checkinstall runs "make install" and intercepts everything that make install tries to do.  Checkinstall can be hit and miss on making debs this way, but I have not had any trouble making the wine deb with it.  It will ask for some info about what to call the package and then do it's thing. The final step in making the package is very slow, so be patient. The deb will have the dev stuff in it so you can remove both the older wine and wine-dev packages before using it.  Use GDebi to install the deb.

Also make (ha) sure that configure is satisfied before moving forward to make depend and make.

If anyone can think of a reason not to do things this way please scream real loud, but it works for me.

Bill