[Wine] Wine broke my WindowsXP (can't login)

Duane Clark fpga at pacbell.net
Fri Feb 29 14:34:59 CST 2008

helix wrote:

> ... To make myself more clear: where is the configuration option (if
> there is one) contained that tells Wine where to look for the usual
> *.dll files? Or is that more or less hardcoded? Judging by your
> answers, it's at least three places: /usr/lib/wine (site-wide),
> ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 (which is fine, since it's seperate
> from Windows), and/or ~/.wine/dosdevices/c/windows/system32/, which
> is bad, beacause of what I did.

I believe the /usr/lib/wine is hardcoded, though there might be an
environment variable that would override. You are right in that the
normal path for looking for Windows DLLs is
~/.wine/dosdevices/c/windows/system32/ . Wine does not explicitly check
~/.wine/drive_c/ unless that is where the link points. And as mentioned,
this can be changed with both an environment variable, and in the Wine
registry. In the registry, this is under:
[System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Session Manager\\Environment]
"winsysdir"="c:\\windows\\system32"