[Wine] Can I use a static build to install on an obsolete target?

thestar at fussycoder.id.au thestar at fussycoder.id.au
Thu Jan 3 17:57:17 CST 2008

That's not necessarily a big deal, anyway. :)

The point is that within the chroot, you can compile newer versions of
libraries that _do_ work with the old kernel without impacting on the main
system.

That said, for testing purposes wouldn't a set of VMware or xen instances
be more suitable? (Mind you, I've never used VMware for this situation, or
xen at all.)

> On Jan 3, 2008 2:55 PM,  <thestar at fussycoder.id.au> wrote:
>> I wonder if you could compile an alternate set of libraries, or even an
>> alternate install of redhat (or debian), and run that alternate system
>> inside a chroot.
>>
>> Naturally, any daemons or services shouldn't be run from that chroot to
>> maintain your "original" system, but it should be enough for wine.
>
> Yes, I almost suggested that.   You'd need one
> that didn't mind running on an old kernel, though.

-- Arafangion, The Star King of the Grape Trees.