[Wine] Error when program tries to file report

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Sun Jan 6 19:22:41 CST 2008

Evil Jay wrote:
> That looks like the application reporting a WinSock error to me.  11001
> means that it couldn't resolve the name of the machine to which the
> application was trying to connect.  If this is happening with an old
> application when the program tries to file a report, perhaps the company
> no longer has a DNS entry for the machine that used to accept the reports.
>
> -J

Troubleshooting steps to take in this case is to open a terminal session
and use nslookup to see if the machine's name can be resolved using
network DNS resources.  If this is so, then it is time to run the
program with
Winedebug=+winsock wine program.exe >WHOut_program.exe.log
2>WHErr_program.exe.log
from the directory where program.exe is installed and not from the wine
program directory.  This will create two log files in the program
directory.  The first is output from Wine that is not shown on the
screen and the second is program errors from Wine.  If winsock is not
connecting, the error log should give you some idea of what is
happening.  It could be possible that Wine cannot connect to the
Linux/UNIX Internet services because the user running Wine is not
allowed to do so.

Hopefully, this will help troubleshoot the problem.  If you are unable
to figure out what is happening, please open a bug report on the Wine
Bugzilla.  Please do include the name of the program, if it a
downloadable version is available, the version of Linux/UNIX that you
are using, and most importantly, the version of Wine you are using.  If
you are not using Wine 0.9.52, please attempt to get and use it first
before filing the report as your problem may be solved with this version.

James McKenzie