[Wine] Error when program tries to file report

Jim Hall volunteer.jim at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 09:58:45 CST 2008

On Jan 6, 2008 8:22 PM, James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com> wrote:

> Jim Hall wrote:
> >
> > If I did nslookup correctly this is what I got (on my computer).
> >
> > nslookup IL:667
> > Server:         205.171.3.65 <http://205.171.3.65>
> > Address:        205.171.3.65#53
> >
> > ** server can't find IL:667: NXDOMAIN
> You should try
>
> nslookup IL
>
> It appeared that you added the port and your DNS server did not like it.
>
> This should return an IP address.  If it does not, then you may need to
> talk to the person who configures this service.
>
> > Yes, very interesting. Highly proprietary campaign finance reporting
> > program.
> Ok.  I will also guess that this program is not available to the general
> public.
> >
> > Yes the directory exists. The program works fine except for this. The
> > user has a working DSL connection, so Wine should be happy, right?
> > Wine version is 0.9.52.
> >
> Yes.  If there is any access to the 'outside' world through this
> connection, you should be able to startup iexpore.exe and access cnn.com
> or another site and view it.  Even access to an internal site should work.

I got hold of the states tech support. There response was a lot better that
I expected. Upshot: This is considered to be an old program and they're
working on a replacement that won't have this problem. For now, the program
has MS internet protocols hard coded in it. The line in the error msg that
says "WinSock 2.0" is the key. Is there any way to get Wine to provide this
service?

Jim