[Wine] TradeStation under Wine - install failure

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 08:54:45 CST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 8:21 PM, L. Rahyen <research at science.su> wrote:
> On Friday January 25 2008 00:15:18 Mark Knecht wrote:
> >From here I start the install. The install progresses, throwing
> >
> > messages all over the place, but eventually fails with one about a
> > unhandled page fault:

> > At this point I basically have to Ctrl-C and kill things. Left running
> > I see these and maybe more in ps aux:

>         You can run "wineserver -k" to close (kill) all WINE processes in current
> WINE prefix.

Thanks.

> > The application is about
> > 40MB and can be distributed to someone who wants to work on fixing the
> > install problems, if there is anyone out there that might be
> > interested.
>
>         What you really should do is to report a bug at http://bugs.winehq.org about
> inability to install TradeStation. Don't forget to state its version. If logs
> or backtraces are needed you will be asked to provide them. As starting point
> just attach to your bug report (do not paste) *full* terminal output when
> running the installer.
>         Make sure to run "wineserver -k" and cd to the directory with the installer
> before running it.
>
> > What the chances to getting this to work?
>
>         Well, quite high if you report a bug *and* some developers find enough free
> time to fix it.
>         A little off-topic; personally I use MetaTrader 4 and I can say that Linux is
> much more reliable platform for trading than any version of Windows... So if
> bugs related to TradeStation will be fixed you will be able to enjoy grate
> experience of trading on Linux.

I certainly & will file a bug report but I'm hoping to find a faster
solution. (If there is one.) The last set of bugs I reported I entered
2-4 years ago and *never* got *any* attention from developers. Not a
single request on any of the 10 or 15 bugs I filed ever generated a
word of response or a patch for me to try.

Periodically, because of those old bug reports in the system, I'll get
a request to try those programs I used 4 years ago under a new version
of Wine. By that time I'm not using the program any more so there's
not much of a point (for me anyway) in spending the time digging up
CD's and trying to get it working. Unfortunately that then results in
who ever maintains the database just marking them abandoned.

By posting here I was hoping I would get some info on how to do more
myself, and if I got really lucky I might find an interested
individual who would be interested in digging in more deeply with me
since I don't have that skill set.

>         Thank you for using WINE.

Well, not using it.....YET!

Cheers,