[Wine] Wine Install and Uninstall Problems

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 27 01:40:34 CST 2008

On 27/01/2008, Lex Middelberg <lex at middelberg.co.za> wrote:
> My questions are the following:
>
> 1.      Must I re-install the windows software with every wine upgrade to get the
> benefit of wine improvements - or was the change due to something in Gutsy?

I don't know why the menu items were removed in the upgrade.

Have you tried running the program directly (e.g. using winefile). If
that works you could recreate the shortcut. I don't know how to do
this, I'm afraid.

To answer your question, it would depend on how well the installer
worked for your application. The installer has been very good for a
long time now, with the only outstanding issues being with
InstallShield-based installers and those with custom actions (special
code that is run during install). Therefore, if your program has
installed and is working, it should survive an upgrade of Wine.

> 2.      How do I get the wine options back onto the KDE menu?

You would need to create a program shortcut (running "wine
<program>"), which I don't know how to do.

As a workaround, you could create a shell script:

    #!/bin/sh
    wine <program>

and save it to - for example - /usr/bin/wordperfect. You could then
create the shortcut using KDE, which I don't know how to do.

> 3.      How do I *completely* uninstall the windows software using the comand line?
> I don't want a trace of the windows software to remain so that I can do a
> clean re-install from time to time.

You can run:

    msiexec /x <Product.msi | ProductCode >

if it is an MSI-based install. Otherwise, you need to look for the
uninstall program (use winefile to look for it).

Wine comes with an uninstaller program that lets you select the
program(s) you want to uninstall.

NOTE: Some Windows uninstallers don't completely remove everything.

However, the easiest way to remove everything is to run:

    rm -rf ~/.wine
    wineprefixcreate

This will reset everything back, with nothing installed and your Wine
settings lost.

> 4.      How do I change the screen resolution under wine back to something that's
> more functional?

Use winecfg. In one of the tabs (can't remember where) there is an
option for the default desktop resolution to use. There are also other
useful configuration settings there.

HTH,
- Reece