[Wine] Bug 13517: Forums breaking mailing list

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Wed Jul 2 14:26:50 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 08:49 -0500, dimesio wrote:
> > Is someone speaking of getting rid of the forum? Those who like it may
> > stay there. But, the gateway to the mailing list is an evil and should
> > be closed.
>

> Sounds reasonable to me. Email and forums are very different styles of
> communicating, and trying to mix them is inevitably going to lead to
> culture clashes. The issue of quoting, which seems to be the main
> problem for email users, is a perfect example: from my perspective,
> not having to quote is one of the advantages of a forum, and
> remembering to do so for those on the mailing list is something of an
> annoyance.

The gateway is breaking threads, which is why it's so important to
quote.  Plus not everybody reads every message, lack of quotes even in
forums tends to present confusion on long threads (whether or not users
are willing to admit this).  The gateway is also not rewrapping lines:
Forum posters post an entire paragraph on one line.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo at ursine.ca