[Wine] Bug 13517: Forums breaking mailing list

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Wed Jul 2 14:29:05 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 10:01 -0400, Zachary Goldberg wrote:
> On 7/2/08, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Zachary Goldberg <zgs at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
> > > I'm still terribly confused: Whats the problem with the status quo?
> > > Things seem to be running very smoothly...
> > >
> > > -Zach
> > >

> > Many forum users are forgetting to quote, editing their posts,etc.
>
>  Can't we disable post editing on the BB?  If people forget quotes I
> dont think much harm is done.  Theres always a little bit lost in
> translation.

Great harm is done:  Context is 100% lost, especially since the forum
breaks threading.

> > Mailing list users are changing e-mail subjects, breaking threads.
> >

> That breaks email threads too -- so thats a user consciously doing
> something wrong.  Not our issue.

You might want to look into how threading works.  It is not determined
by the subject line in the slightest.  You can have a thread with each
message having a COMPLETELY different subject, or no subject at all.

> None of this sounds like a big enough issue to warrant any change.
> Maybe minor tweaking if some people are agitated but I doubt even that
> thats the case.

Read the archives.  We are losing experienced people over this problem,
and WineHQ seems unwilling or unable to do anything to fix it within the
existing software.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo at ursine.ca