[Wine] Re: WINEPREFIX ?

Jim wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jul 2 15:00:29 CDT 2008

crow_se wrote:
> I have seen posts regarding WINEPREFIX so that Windows programs can be installed elsewhere than in the default .wine/drive_c/... folder.
> I have 2 or 3 Windows programs in the default folders which I run under Wine, and another program (Serif PagePlus 11) also in the default folder that does not run and I want to uninstall. Wine uninstall does not work for this program. I gather I can uninstall by deleting the .wine folder, but that will delete the other programs as well. I also gather that by the use of WINEPREFIX a windows program can be installed elsewhere than in .wine, and then deleting and recreating .wine will have no affect on such an installation. If this is true, could I move these programs out of .wine to another folder by moving from .wine/drive_c/Program Files/... to another folder setup by wineprefixcreate and modifying the program calls to take this WINPREFIX setup into account ?

So you want to move ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/SomeProgram to ~/.someotherwineprefix/drive_c/Program Files/SomeProgram

Sometimes this works fine.  In general, if you can copy a particular program from one Windows machine to another Windows machine then you can also do the same between Wine prefixes.  The most common reason that this may not work has to do with the way an application uses the registry to register components (eg OLE/COM/ActiveX) and store application settings.

If you just want to move/rename the whole .wine folder to another location, you shouldn't run into problems other than desktop/menu shortcuts (eg in KDE or Gnome) that will need fixed.