[Wine] Bug 13517: Forums breaking mailing list

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Wed Jul 2 20:49:43 CDT 2008

On Wednesday July 2 2008 23:18:23 Zachary Goldberg wrote:
> Finally: I move that we close this thread.  If there is still residual
> discomfort about the few cosmetic issues surrounding the gateway would
> any party willing to put fourth the work to fix the problem without
> replacing the whole system start a new thread with their ideas?

	Personally I think this is what should be done if these cosmetic issues are
so minor that no one wants to actually fix them (yet):

	1) Report a bug about not perfect headers to the developers of the
gateway (not to Wine' Bugzilla because we don't have a developer for this
yet). Of course with clear explanation about what the problem is, what is the
difference between expected and current behavior, etc. They are more likely
to have a developer who will fix this.
	2) What about "too long lines" problem this isn't even a bug in the gateway -
it is a bug in the mail client if it can't display such messages properly
(most of e-mail clients don't have such problem). BTW, it is legitimate to
send messages by e-mail without forced line wrapping (and sometimes even
preferred - for example if you sending a message to wine-patches with a patch
in the body). If someone thinks we should care about this compatibility issue
with broken clients - it is good idea first to ask site admin: perhaps there
is already an option in the gateway to preprocess messages with standard
Linux command like fmt in order to force line wrapping for broken clients. If
there is no such option yet - post a feature request to the developers of the
gateway. There is some caveats however - for example, if forum user post a
backtrace or terminal output it might be wrapped and this is bad. Therefore
personally I think that this issue should be fixed on client side and has
nothing to do with the gateway. If someone think otherwise please discuss
this with site admin - only he decides is such a change acceptable or not.

	To me it seems that developers of the gateway might be even not aware yet
about issue #1 - most people (possibly including developers of the gateway)
simply will not notice it.
	I'm noticing it and don't like it but it isn't big annoyance for me because
as I said before I don't have any trouble understanding messages from forum
users.

	If someone find enough free time to report a bug to the developers of the
gateway about issue #1 - please post a link to it here.