[Wine] HTML rendering is currently disabled

Ret wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jul 3 04:20:32 CDT 2008

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 and Wine 1.10. Before installing Wine I had installed Firefox 3.0 final release for Linux as instructed on the Ubuntu site. It said not to uninstalled the version of Firefox that came with Ubuntu because it may break Gecko and other things, so I didn't uninstall it.

I've now installed Wine 1.10 and have installed one application, however, it gave me a prompt to install wine-gecko which I said yes to and then it gave me a window for the program that said "HTML rendering is currently disabled".

When I tried to run it again it just gave me the "HTML rendering is currently disabled" message and didn't say anything else.

After doing some searching I found a message that suggested runing:
  wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
  sh winetricks gecko

After doing this it now asks each time to install wine-gecko which I say yes and then it gives me the same old message " HTML rendering is currently disabled".

What does that mean by that it is disabled? How do I enable it? Did I mess up Gecko some how when I installed Firefox 3.0 final release?

Thanks for any help.