[Wine] uninstall and (.msi files)

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Sat Jul 5 12:46:06 CDT 2008

Hartmut Figge wrote:
> vitamin:
>

>> Code:
>> rm -rf ~/.wine
>>

> Yes, but i prefer 'mv ~/.wine ~/.wine-s1' ...

I prefer mv ~/.wine{,.<insert appropriate name here>}

This moves the file and maintains the .wine part with the .<insert
appropriate name here> portion appended.
>> And no you should not pick pieces from the ~/.wine dir, like
>> registry.
>>

> ... because then it is possible to reuse e.g. old savegames.

It is never a good idea to edit the registry unless you know absolutely
what you are doing.  I've done registry recoveries and they are
unusually messy.  Moving the .wine directory is much easier and cleaner.

code:

cd
mv .wine{,.backup}
wineboot
cd <installation directory of new program>
wine setup.exe (alt. wine install.exe)

If the program requires specific packages I use Dan Kegel's winetricks
(gecko is broken on Wine 1.1, but there is a fix and workaround that
does the install).

James McKenzie