[Wine] Serial Port Access Under Wine

Irena and Richard Jenkins richard.jenkins at internode.on.net
Mon Jul 7 20:27:43 CDT 2008

I have asked this before, but has anyone successfully used serial
port /dev/ttyS0 under wine?  I am trying to run a windows program for
controlling an amateur radio - a 'tentec pegasus'.

My linux is a debian derivative ... sidux ... and I have installed wine from
the sid repositories.   The program runs ... and displays a radio dial which
looks correct.  However, because I cannot access the port, I cannot talk to
the radio ... so the dials don't work.  The program gives a message that it
cannot establish communications with the radio.

1.	Is the com1 poprt setup under wine ... actually happening?

2.	Is a wine user given permission to open the com1 port.  (When I use
virtualbox and winXP) I have to be sure that my name is included in the
cboxusers group ... and maybe this wine difficulty is a permission thing?

3	Are there some help files or logs which will tell me where the process is
going wrong?  Using virtualbox and winXP is a bit of overkill for just 1
small program!!

Richard
Irena & Richard Jenkins
Canberra,  AUSTRALIA